Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Death of Childhood



I shot this after watching a news piece on bullying. The show was interesting because it talked about bullying and how it starts around middle school. From my experiences, it started much earlier. I found it got easier come middle school and into high school. But that's not the point of this photograph. I have two intentions with this photograph. First, I wanted to raise the question, Is childhood as we knew it, dead or has it just evolved? Secondly, I wanted to do something completely out of the ordinary for me. I've come to a major realization that I've had before, but never at this level; I only need to prove something to myself. What other people may or may not like is their personal taste. I can't change that. If I shoot something that they like, great. If they don't like it and think it's rubbish, great. It's not going to matter to me. Simply because I'm shooting for me now. I wrote last week how I'm so sick of the bullshit pressure I put on myself. I am. I am so over it. I'm shooting what I want to shoot because it makes me happy, or expresses the way I'm feeling about whatever it is that I'm feeling at the present moment. If my creativity wants to get dark, I'm going to follow it all the way down the rabbit hole until I get to where I'm going. I'm tired of trying to create/do/say/be what other people think I should be. I'm going to be me. That's all I can do.
I've said my peace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats what you get for watching "Sunday Morning"!!!!
If you were a true news juncky like me you would know how out of hand the bullying is getting. I think we just need to beat the crap out of the bullys - not serious!
Hope you can find interesting things to shoot...any bully willing to get shot? LOL
DAD

Mom Nan said...

hey, I understand what you're saying. That piece on bullying was really good, but scary because the girl didn't care she was a bully, just like her mother didn't. After you had grown, Bill Cosby wrote a series of books on how to help kids get through things. One of them was bullying and just saying the simple words "So" took everything out of the bullying. Our WT today was on kids being prepared to handle different situations that come up from peers. Same premise, be prepared. Can't wait to start our photo assignment.