Saturday, August 21, 2010

Making Your Own Fisheye Lens

I made my own fisheye lens for a total of $0. I called up Lenscrafters and told them I was looking for a piece of eyeglass that was thick, uncut and had a large prescription on it. After a little discussion, she informed me that I should just come down and rummage through the box of old lenses that they had that they couldn't use for one reason or another. Here's the best part though, she said that I could just have one. So, Michelle and I went down, went through the box, and picked out two different lenses that we thought might work. (The lady at Lenscrafters was way cool about it. Thank you Marissa!)

I brought them home and threw the glass in front of my lens. While holding it there, I experimented. This way looks okay. This way doesn't. This looks cool. Ooh, right there. After having Michelle measure out how far I wanted the glass, I had to find a way to attach it to my lens. After rummaging through all of my stuff, I found a piece of cardboard that I could cut, mold and tape to the end of my lens. A little tweaking, hot glue, patience and electrical tape and voila! I have a "fisheye lens"!





I hope you enjoy the pictures! I'm going to enjoy experimenting with it!







2 comments:

Mom Nan said...

Ok McGiver! That is way cool! I took pictures of the possum in our garage last night!

Unknown said...

I was dying to ask how you made it, but decided to wait... great idea and application!
Love
Dad